Tips to successfully express breast milk
- Get enough rest. Stress due to fatigue and tension will reduce the milk production.
- Create a quiet environment for expressing. Request any visitors present to leave the room.
- Have something to remind you of your baby while expressing. Placing one of your child’s cuddly toys or a photo of your baby nearby may help if they cannot be there.
- Apply heat to your breasts just before you begin expressing. Warmth stimulates the milk secretion and is especially beneficial for engorgement (hard breasts).
- Wearing a nursing bra is not strictly necessary, but it is practical. If you wear one, it should provide sufficient support but not pinch.
Last edit: 27 August 2021