Application for proton therapy treatment at PARTICLE
- For whom?
- For patients with so-called standard indications for proton therapy in Belgium, an application for proton therapy can be submitted to PARTICLE. An overview of these indications and criteria can be found here.
- If you doubt whether an indication qualifies for proton therapy - even when it is not on the list of standard indications - you can always contact PARTICLE and/or complete the registration form.
- By whom? The radiotherapist-oncologist at the referring centre sends a request for proton therapy to PARTICLE.
- How? This can be done via the following online registration form, which is available in several languages. If there are any problems with the registration form, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. PARTICLE will provide a secure link to deliver this info.
- All applications for proton therapy are discussed weekly at the so-called Proton Round. This multidisciplinary consultation takes place every Monday afternoon at 13.30 (except on public holidays).
- Only if the registration form has been completed in full and all necessary information is available by noon on Friday will the patient be discussed at the next Proton Round.
- The referring radiotherapist-oncologist receives a Teams link for participation in the Proton Round and presents the case themselves. If applicable, the paediatric oncologist is also invited to participate in the discussion.
- In some cases, PARTICLE may request additional information before making a decision.
After the application to PARTICLE
In case of a positive decision the patient can be treated with proton therapy in PARTICLE, provided there is prior payment (guarantee) and a signed consent form.