The number of ultrasounds performed during pregancy
As a general rule, three ultrasound scans are performed and reimbursed by the RIZIV, i.e. one ultrasound scan per pregnancy trimester.
Your doctor will inform you if medical reasons dictate that more ultrasound scans are required.
Between weeks 11 and 13
- Determining the correct gestational age
- Determination of a possible pregnancy with multiples
- Detection of some anatomical abnormalities
- Measurement of the nuchal fold, if necessary
Between weeks 20 and 22
- Track the baby’s development
- Determine the position of the placenta
- Detection of certain deformities
Between weeks 30 and 32
- Determining the baby's growth and position
- Measure the amount of amniotic fluid
- Determining the position of the placenta
- Ultrasound imaging is not painful and is completely harmless.
- One person may accompany you during the ultrasound scan.
Duration: 30 minutes.
- The gynaecologist applies a gel on your skin.
- The gynaecologist rubs a transducer over your stomach.
- You receive a black-and-white image of your baby.
At the start of your pregnancy, this test can also be carried out vaginally.
Photos, videos and 3D/4D ultrasound imaging
- After the ultrasound scan, you will receive a printed photograph of your baby.
- We do not provide images on DVD or USB flash drives.
- 3D/4D ultrasound imaging is only used to refine a diagnosis. It is not standardly performed.
Recording yourself is not permitted during the ultrasound scan.