In addition to traditions and cultural habits, there are also medical reasons why circumcision is performed in men from puberty onwards:
- When the foreskin cannot be slid over the glans without difficulty.
- In case of problems with the foreskin during erections.
A circumcision is performed under local anaesthetic or under general anaesthetic in the surgical day hospital.
- The foreskin is detached from the glans and shortened.
- The skin is sutured or glued behind the edge of the glans.
Duration of the procedure: approximately 30 minutes
- The first 24 hours, a pressure bandage will be applied.
- Replace the bandage each time after urinating to avoid infections.
- Urinating might hurt, especially the first couple of times after the surgery.
- The first couple of weeks, the glans will be hypersensitive. This will pass spontaneously.
- Apply Furacine cream twice a day, until the tube is empty.
- For 10 days you are not allowed to exercise, go to the sauna, swim or bathe. You can take showers.
- The stitches are dissolvable and thus disappear on their own.
- After 1 week you have a check-up at your GP's. After 6 weeks, you come for a check-up at the urology consultation.
The cost of a circumcision depends on your insurance.