On medical prescription only
You will always need a prescription from your doctor for this test. Bring this prescription with you on the day of the test.
- You must fast before an ultrasound scan of the upper abdominal organs (liver, gall bladder, pancreas and spleen). You are not allowed to eat, drink or smoke for six hours prior to the test.
- You do not have to fast before other types of ultrasound imaging.
- Please inform the nurse if you underwent a test or examination on the department of nuclear medicine before your ultrasound scan.
Duration: 20 minutes on average
- The radiologist applies a gel on your skin.
- The radiologist rubs a transducer (a hand-held device) over the part of the body being examined.
- The transducer produces images of the body part involved.
The ultrasound itself does not hurt per se, but the transducer may feel uncomfortable in painful areas.