For this examination you always need a prescription from your physician.
+32 16 34 24 70 - working days from 8 to 17 hrs
- You do not need to be nil by mouth for an MRI.
- Report to the hospital 45 minutes before your appointment.
- Leave metal objects (jewellery, piercings, hair pins) at home.
- Do you have custom-made ear plugs? Bring them with you to the examination.
- Warn the nurse before the examination about the following:
- pregnancy (or a suspicion of pregnancy)
- piercings or jewellery you cannot take off.
Duration: depending on the type of examination. Most examinations take between 20 and 30 minutes, but some examinations take longer, some up to an hour.
- Position yourself on the examination table.
- If necessary, contrast fluid will be injected.
- Subsequently you will move through a large tunnel.
- Open on both ends.
- Well-lit and well-ventilated.
- While the scans are being made you'll hear knocking sounds.
- Try to keep still as much as possible, and hold your breath for a little while.
- You'll get headphones or earplugs so that the noise doesn't bother you as much.
Depending of the part of your body being examined, the procedure of MR scan can run differently. It is possibly you will be asked to make certain movements.
For asumptomatic patients with a strongly increased risk for breast cancer (lifetime risk of 30% or more) reimbursment of the annual MR scan is provided.
Check the conditions to check whether you are eligible for this type of reimbursment.
- MR scan for children (in Dutch)
- How much is an MR scan of the head? (in Dutch)
- How much is an MR scan of the neck, thorax or abdomen? (in Dutch)