Intercultural mediation and language support


For interpretation purposes, UZ Leuven works together with external partners that have a wide variety of languages on offer, including Flemish sign language.

You can apply for language support via:

  • the department for intercultural mediation
  • the department for social services
  • via the nursing ward you're staying on

When you make an appointment at the hospital you can already let us know that you need an interpreter. It is also possible to apply for one during your admission.

Intercultural mediation

The department of intercultural mediation can give the patient and healthcare provider dedicated advice in various care situations:

  • Explain how to deal with cultural differences in dealing with healthcare and medical support.
  • Provide support during the hospital stay, such as:
    • Finding your way in the hospital.
    • Give information and help completing specific documents.
    • Give information about how the hospital works.
  • Support foreign patients during difficult conversations with the healthcare provider.

You can ask for language support via:

  • the social worker of your department
  • the nursing ward you're staying on


  • +32 16 34 86 20


Last edit: 13 October 2020