Being a top performer in patient care, university education and scientific research is the main mission of UZ Leuven and KU Leuven. In Belgium and Europe, we play a leading role which we want to maintain and further expand. To this end, more than 10,000 passionate employees in UZ Leuven and more than 12,000 employees in KU Leuven combine their expertise every day. UZ Leuven became the first Belgian hospital to obtain the international JCI label for safe and quality care and was recently ranked 31st in the ranking of 200 best hospitals in the world by the American magazine Newsweek. Since 2016, KU Leuven has been leading the Reuters list of Europe's most innovative universities. KU Leuven Dentistry is ranked 9th in the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities, being the second European dental school, and currently also occupies a 19th place in the QS World University Rankings.
The Medical Department Dentistry aims to provide the best possible care to all patients and has a strong multidisciplinary team of experienced clinicians with extensive expertise. We want to be among the top centers for Oral Health Care by excelling in the fields of patient care, university education and scientific research, and more specifically with this profile in the discipline of Periodontology.
In the UZ Leuven Dental Department, the full-time position for a medical staff member Periodontology is currently vacant.
- As a Staff Member Periodontology, you are responsible for the organization, development and supervision of the subdepartment Periodontology and its contribution to the Medical Department Dentistry and the Department of Oral Health Sciences.
- The position is based on three pillars:
- CLINICAL CARE: as a medical staff member, you know how to work quality-oriented and innovative and provide excellent patient care in second- and third-line care. You have the appropriate attitude towards working with specific patient groups. You cooperate closely with other medical departments within UZ Leuven, in particular with the Department of Oral and Maxillo-facial Surgery.
- CLINICAL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH: you have a proven track record in scientific research and intend to actively contribute to the optimization of biological regenerative therapies in the field of Periodontology including implantology. You publish in leading journals and supervise PhD students.
- EDUCATION AND TRAINING: you give theoretical and practical courses to students of the Bachelor/Master basic Dentistry training, as well as to students of the Master-after-Master in Specialized Oral Health Care, more specifically Periodontology. You organize training courses for dentists in the context of Continuing Education.
- In a positive spirit of interdisciplinary collaboration and patient orientation, you build constructive relationships and communicate effectively in terms of consultation, information flow and teamwork.
- You can rely on your organizational talent and know how to set the right priorities and keep structure, even under stressful circumstances.
- In terms of people management, you can manage and inspire colleagues and collaborators, or you are willing to develop these competencies.
- You advance the vision and values of UZ Leuven as an international medical expert center and of KU Leuven as a leading educational and research university institution.
- You represent the Medical Department Dentistry and the subdiscipline Periodontology within UZ Leuven and KU Leuven, in professional organizations, as well as in government institutions, such as the NIHDI (National Institute for Health and Disability Insurance), the Federal Public Service for Public Health and the Flemish Agency for Health and Care.
- You strengthen existing partnerships and create new ones with national and international organizations in the field of periodontology.
- You are co-responsible for the organization of the specialist training Periodontology.
- The staff member is offered the opportunity to treat patients privately during own consultation moments.
- You are recognized in Belgium as a Dentist-specialist in Periodontology or are willing to apply for recognition.
- You obtained a PhD after publicly defending your doctoral thesis.
- You have a proven clinical and scientific track record.
- You have a thorough knowledge of current treatment protocols in dentistry, and are extremely skilled in the advanced diagnostics and surgical treatment techniques in Periodontology including implantology.
- You are willing to participate in the supervision of the Periodontology emergency service.
- A good knowledge of English is a requirement and mastery of French a plus.
- You are communicative in your relationship with colleagues, students and staff and can work well in a team.
- Additional skills in oral biology and biological regenerative therapies are a plus.
- An additional interest or expertise in oro-facial pain and temporomandibular dysfunction is an advantage.
- Candidates who do not master the Dutch language yet, are expected to master Dutch sufficiently after 2 years and to achieve ERK level B2 in order to be able to provide dental care, other services and education properly in Dutch.
What we offer
- A challenging position in an exciting complex hospital environment with many development opportunities at a professional level.
- A tenured staff position with numerous extralegal benefits.
- After a trial period of 12 months and a positive evaluation, you will be able to join the Permanent Dental Staff (VTS) of the Medical Department Dentistry and its subdepartment of Periodontology.
- Possibility of recognition as a KU Leuven Clinical Lecturer for the academic teaching assignment.
- In the long term, it is possible to apply for a 20% part-time academic staff (ZAP) position (KU Leuven, Department of Oral Health Sciences) if human resource units to this end are available.
Send your application letter with extensive curriculum vitae and mention of the vacancy number 2045 before 31/10/2021 to UZ Leuven, General Management, attn. the Chief Medical Officer Prof. G. Van Assche, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a copy to UZ Leuven, Dental Service, attn. Prof. Guy Willems, Kapucijnenvoer 7 block a - bus 7001, 3000 Leuven or by e-mail to email@example.com