- Reference: 2032
- Apply before: 31-07-2021
The core focus of UZ Leuven is on its role as a benchmark in patient care, teaching and research. Our ambition is to maintain and further develop our leading role in Belgium and Europe. To achieve this, almost 10,000 driven staff dedicate their expertise to the cause every day. UZ Leuven has been awarded the international JCI label for the safety and quality of care.
We currently have a vacancy for a Medical Department Head for the Centre for Human Genetics.
The Centre for Human Genetics is a leader in the field of clinical genetics in Belgium and Europe. The clinical geneticists at the Centre have more than 10,000 patient contacts a year, half of which take place in 13 major regional hospitals. They are supported in their clinical work by a team of genetic counsellors, psychologists, educational specialists and trainees in clinical genetics. There is a wealth of expertise in the different fields of medical genetics. The Centre’s diagnostic laboratory has extensive expertise in genetic testing, ranging from pre-implantation and prenatal genetical tests, through a wide array of post-natal genetic tests to a large battery of tests for acquired genetic disorders in the field of haemato-oncology. The portfolio of genetic tests is developed in close interaction with the medical staff of the Centre. The Centre can also call on the services of a modern Genomics Core which, as an integrated Activities Centre, has all the latest sequencing facilities at its disposal. The Centre for Human Genetics and the Genomics Core Activities Centre together employ more than 180 staff who contribute their expertise and dedication on a daily basis. There is excellent collaboration with scientific research groups at the Human Genetics Department of KU Leuven to explore new technologies which push the boundaries of genetic diagnostic possibilities.
- You will work in liaison with the staff and the Hopsital’s executive committee to determine the strategic policy of the Centre, and will translate this policy into tangible, measurable goals. As well as clinical tasks, teaching and scientific research are also a key component of a university appointment, and you will play an active role in this.
- You will play an inspiring and stimulating role in the Centre’s scientific research and will strive to maintain a balance between the clinical, educational and scientific tasks of the Centre and its staff.
- You will work to ensure continual optimisation and innovation within your discipline.
- You espouse the vision and values of UZ Leuven as an international centre of medical excellence.
- You possess the necessary management abilities, have good communication skills and are able to inspire your staff and provide constructive direction/steering to ensure a focus on quality and innovation.
- You also need to be mindful of the practical organisation of the Centre and to strive for optimum multidisciplinary cooperation.
- In addition to the integrated (transmural) dimension of your role and interaction with the other medical disciplines, you will devote maximum attention to developing the academic dimension of the Centre.
What you can offer
- You have a qualification recognised in Belgium/the European Union as a physician specialising in human genetics, with a minimum of 10 years’ experience.
- You have relevant clinical expertise; management experience is an advantage.
- You have an interest in clinical scientific research.
What we offer
- An opportunity to work in an interesting and complex high-tech hospital organisation which presents continuous challenges in your day-to-day work.
- An attractive employment and remuneration package with many fringe benefits.
Send your application letter together with your CV, stating vacancy number 2032, before 31 July 2021 to UZ Leuven, Algemene Directie, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium, marked for the attention of the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Gert Van Assche, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Professor Eric Legius by telephoning the Secretariat on +32 (0)16 345903 or by email to email@example.com