As soon as your admission is planned and organised, it is advisable to inform:

Your health insurance fund

The hospital will inform your health insurance fund of your admission as well. However, if you are admitted as a result of an accident, then you should expressly inform your health insurance fund of this. Also inquire there about any certificates that have to be completed when you are admitted.

Your insurance company

UZ Leuven has entered into a contract with several insurance companies in order to submit patient costs directly to the insurer. This requires a payment agreement from your insurer for every admission. You should ask your insurance company about this ahead of time.

If you have hospitalisation insurance, read through your policy again before you are admitted. Then you will know exactly which costs will be reimbursed by your insurance company and which will not.

Your family doctor

In the interests of clarity, inform your family doctor of the planned admission. He will receive the examination results and medical data afterwards.

Your employer

  • As a salaried employee you have to send your employer a certificate of incapacity for work within two working days, as well as sending the 'Certificate of incapacity for work' (better known as the ‘Confidential' document) to the consultative doctor of your health insurance fund.
  • If you are a civil servant, ask the doctor attending you to fill in the mandatory certificates required by your administration.
  • If you are self-employed then, if necessary, you should send your health insurance fund a certificate of incapacity for work (within 60 days following the start of your incapacity for work).