Make an appointment
When applying for an appointment, make sure to enter the data of your child. You can only make an appointment once your child has been born.
We will contact you to plan the appointment.
You can't make the appointment? Call us on +32 16 34 66 85 to let us know.
In addition to traditions and cultural habits, there are also medical reasons why circumcision is performed:
- Recurring problems urinating
- Infections of the urinary tract
- Skin problems causing scarring
From puberty onwards
- When the foreskin cannot be slid over the glans without difficulty.
- In case of problems with the foreskin during erections.
- On the day of your appointment, make sure to arrive an hour before the actual appointment. This leaves sufficient time to prepare your child's record.
- Have your child registered at the registration desk in the reception hall. Once your child is registered, you will be given a QR code and instructions on how to get to the urology department.
- At the urology department, you need to sign your child in at the scan point with the QR code you received.
- When it is your turn, your child will be examined by the doctor and you will be given all necessary information.
- In consultation with you, the doctor will set a date for the circumcision.
The circumcision will not take place during the consultation. During the consultation a date will be set for the circumcision in the surgical day hospital.
The day before the planned surgery, we will call you in the course of the afternoon. During that call you will be told at what time you need to be in the hospital the following day.
If your child needs to be sober, this will also be discussed during this interview.
- In newborn babies up to 4 weeks old, the circumcision will be done under local anaesthetic in combination with the intake of sugar water.
- In babies between 3 and 6 months' old, the circumcision is done under general anaesthetic.
During a Plastibell circumcision, the non-elastic skin around the penis is removed using a plastic ring and a string. Because of the string, the excess skin will die off and fall off on its own afterwards.
Duration of the procedure: approximately 20 minutes
- No bandage will be applied.
- Your child is allowed to take a shower or a bath.
- The penis can be cared for as normal, with a drop of baby oil if necessary when your baby takes a bath or shower.
- We also recommend dripping a few drops of baby oil in the middle of the plastic ring at every nappy change. Even when the ring has dropped off, you can continue to do so for a couple of weeks.
The follow-up appointment depends on how your child was sedated:
- Local anaesthetic: 11 days after the circumcision you take a picture which you send to us via mynexuzhealth. A doctor will check as soon as possible. If there are any problems, a follow-up appointment will be necessary.
- General anaesthetic: 2 weeks after the circumcision you'll come to the consultation with your child for a check-up of the wound. We set a date for this on the day of the circumcision, before you go back home.
The cost of a circumcision depends on your insurance.