For years, the departments of gynaecology and neonatology of the University Hospitals Leuven have been pursuing a good breastfeeding policy. The past years additional efforts were made to receive international recognition with the BHFI-certificate (Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative), by complying to the conditions and objectives UNICEF and the WHO put forward for the care of mother and child
In 2008, the University Hospitals Leuven have obtained the quality label ‘Babyfriendly hospital’. In June 2012 the label was extended for another four years.
To be awarded this international recognition, the hospital needs to comply with certain conditions that have to give every baby the best possible chances for optimal health, from birth onwards.
- The University Hospitals Leuven adheres to the ‘Ten rules for successful breast feeding’
- In addition there is the ‘Mother-friendly Hospital Initiative’ which draws attention the care of pregnant women.
- Finally, the University Hospitals Leuven strives to respect the international code of marketing of breast-milk substitutes.
- Title: Baby-friendly initiatives
- Publication date: 03-03-2012